This week on From The Vault we celebrate the 10 year anniversary of â€œThe Battle in Seattleâ€, the grassroots effort by ordinary Citizens that shut down the World Trade Organization Ministerial Conference despite a last minute personal visit by President Bill Clinton to salvage the Conference.
Pacifica Radio Archiveâ€™s Senior Producer was in Seattle that week working with Marc Cooper and John Nichols of Radio Nation, Amy Goodman and Democracy Now and Jim Hightower on their respective daily radio shows.
This program presents the very best of these recordings:
- Ralph Nader debating Undersecretary of Commerce David Aaron in Seattleâ€™s newly opened Town Hall Community Center.
- Director General of the World Trade Organization Mike Moore with AFL-CIO President John Sweeney Responding.
- Minnesota Senator Paul Wellstone
- Brian McWilliams, Longshoremanâ€™s Union President announcing the shutting down of all west-coast ports
- Radio Nation hosts Marc Cooper and John Nichols on the streets as the most amazing demonstrations shut down The WTO meetings and Downtown Seattle.
- Actuality of chants, police reaction, beatings, tear gassing, and resistance.
- Comments from the wide spectrum of protesters from union members, teachers, environmentalists, and regular concerned citizens who descended on Seattle that week.
- Ohio Congressman Dennis kucinich
From the Vault is presented as part of the Pacifica Radio Archives Preservation and Access Project.